Wednesday, November 20, 2013

An Ode to The Theater

So this week is officially the busiest fandom-related one I've had in a while, since the Harry Potter book and movie years, probably. This Thursday, I'm going to an early screening of Catching Fire, and this Saturday is the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary, which I'll be seeing at a cinema showing as well. It's all so exciting, and I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it, but I figured I'd also take a moment to talk about part of why I'm so excited, aside from the whole friendship/fandom/social thing...

I don't know what it is, but I am simply love the experience of being in a theater (both for movies and stage-performances).  It's sitting in the dark, comfy plush seats, the sheer grand I live for the experience of an audience member. You're given the opportunity to get utterly lost in some other world (which is why noisy-distracting audience members in INFURIATE me to no end) for a time. I don't get to go nearly as often as I'd like, so when I do, the whole experience always feels quite grand. Even if it's a tiny theater. It's an affordable luxury, one I can't see myself tiring from any time soon.


I have yet to go to the Cineworld in Glasgow City Centre (which is where I'll be seeing Catching Fire) but it's so tall and epic looking that I'm sure it'll be properly grand. And ticket prices weren't even that bad, once I applied the student discount. If all goes well, I'll probably end up making a bit of a habit of my favorite cheap escape... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment